Basically, ADHD Coaching helps people struggling with symptoms related to ADHD, reduce their chaos, experience success and get things done!
Here's a more expansive and literal explanation of ADHD Coaching...
ADHD Coaches support their clients in developing a comprehensive understanding of both the nature of ADHD and the impact of ADHD on their client's quality of life. In addition, ADHD coaches work with clients to create structures, support, skills and strategies to help them move forward with fuller and more satisfying lives. Coaching assists clients with ADHD to stay focused on their goals, face obstacles, address core ADD-related issues like time management, organization, and self-esteem, gain clarity and function more effectively. The client is seen by the ADD coach as resourceful and thus, with increasing self-awareness, as fully capable of discovering his or her own answers.
ADHD Coaching also helps clients to:
- Understand that the source of many of their challenges is ADHD, not personal shortcomings.
- Safely examine areas of failure and areas where they want to be held accountable.
- Heighten self-awareness and self-observation skills, and use those heightened skills to improve decision-making and performance.
- Change perspective when "stuck" (i.e. learning new ways to work with procrastination, perfectionism, staying on task, or being more consistent.)
- Become aware of their own learning styles, processing styles and learning preferences so they can enhance their ability to learn and comprehend information and situations.
ADHD Coaching can be an important part of a comprehensive program for individuals with ADHD. The coaching process initiates and encourages taking ownership and self- responsibility. Coaching is individualized and action-focused, so the client is working to build productive habits and systems that lead to a fulfilling life.
*Taken from The Guiding Principals For Coaching Individuals With Attention Deficit Disorder, presented by The National Attention Deficit Disorder Association Subcommittee on ADHD Coaching.